Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


The day before Thanksgiving a big windy snow storm blew through Highland Utah. In fact, the news had people so worried that the grocery stores and gas stations were packed with people preparing for the storm that might snow us into our homes for the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend!

(Picture taken on Sunday when a small storm came through
and left us a little snow. But Wednesday's storm was too
windy and frigid cold to go out and play in the snow!)


On Wednesday Mason and I headed up to Primary Children's for a cardiology checkup and his monthly IVIg treatment. His treatment was going to have us there until about midnight, so because of the storm warnings I had in the back of my mind that either we'd end up spending the night at the hospital or we'd have to go stay with some friends that live 15 min from the hospital. But, the transplant team had other plans for us. Once they heard that the Universities were closing and that anyone working in the Salt Lake valley were being told to leave work early and head home.........they told us to post pone Mason's IVIg treatment until next week and go home right after his check up!!!


At first I was discouraged because it takes a lot of planning to spend a whole day up at the hospital. After preparing all of Mason's meds and feeds to take with us and leaving my kids in the hands of a good babysitter, I almost turned them down on canceling! Although after thinking about it I decided we didn't want to be snowed in up in Salt Lake and not be able to spend Thanksgiving with our family. Mason and I have already spent too much time away from our family this year!! (In the end the storm was bad only until midnight and then passed through. By thanksgiving morning the roads were clear.) I am grateful for our wonderful transplant team for care so much about us.



(This was at the hospital preparing for Mason's IVIg treatment. The bummer
was, this was the first time Mason was actually smiling and happy to be
coloring in a hospital bed. Hopefully next Thursday, when we will go
back to do it his treatment, his happy attitude and smiles will accompany us again!)




Last thanksgiving was sad for me because of the prognosis
Mason had been given by so many medical professionals. It was probably going to be his last Thanksgiving here on earth with us. Even though in my heart I felt very strongly that Mason still had more time here with us, it was hard at that time not to let my emotions listen to what they were all saying! Our family cherished every minute we had with him during the holidays last year, as we still do this year! It is just so wonderful to have him much healthier this year and with a longer life expectancy.


Life is tricky though because he is still very immune suppressed, but we have been able to enjoy time with extended family in small groups this Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for all our family and friends who have surrounded us with love and support during our blessed, but at times, difficult journey with Mason.


Thanksgiving brings with it a spirit of love and gratitude. I pray we can keep this spirit around all year as we count our blessings small and big each day.


(This Picture of Mason was the day before
Thanksgiving last year. Wow, he has
come so far! Look at those purple
lips and finger tips!! And I'm
not sue where his O2's were because
he was on them full time. I must
have snapped a few pictures
during the change of his cheek stickers.)



I truly have so much to be grateful for that It would take me all day to list them. And I certainly do not have tome in my life right now for that. But a few at the top of my list are: My absolutely wonderful family, a loving Heavenly Father, the gospel, prayer, faith, hope, miracles, and Mason's donor family.


Our family wishes you a very Happy Thanksgiving weekend and may you be blessed with many happy memories this Holiday Season!


My quote of the week:

"We need to be more grateful. It's one of the marks of strong character, to have a feeling of thanksgiving and gratitude for blessings that are ours. We need more of that spirit in our homes, in our daily associations, in church, everywhere. It's so easy to cultivate the spirit of appreciation." ~Ezra Taft Benson


1 comment:

Keri Bryant said...

happy Happy Thanksgiving, Sum. Hope your day was special. So glad Mason is doing so well and the miracles continue. I love seeing him grow up and look just like Mark. :)
I love you and miss you. Hang in there as you are one of the strongest and best of all people I know.