Thursday, April 1, 2010

Heart Cath




I walked with Mason and the anethesiologist, nurses, and cardiologist performing the cath to Cath Lab around 10:15 am. I was able to stay with Mason and hold his hand while they got him to sleep. Then I kissed him goodbye with teary eyes and walked out with my pager (they give you a pager so they can page you when they're almost done).




The doctor performing Mason's cath specializes in pulmonary vein stenosis. She said this is her research speciality. She spent 10 years at Boston researching this and performing caths and came here a year ago. After looking at Mason's CT scan she thinks she may be able to balloon open ONE of his left pulmonary veins!!! Wow! Really?! That is some new found HOPE!!! And she will coil off some of his collateral vessels stemming from the area of his Glenn (2nd surgery he had at 6 months old), which may help his heart not work so hard and help increase his O2 saturation. What is a collateral? CLICK HERE




Because Mason is having more done than the typical heart cath reading heart pressures and function, it may take up to 4 hours. I'm nervous and anxious, but feel that maybe this cath doctor was another answer to our prayers.




Mason will for sure stay the night in the CVICU (cardiac ICU) and I will stay with him. Hopefully all will go well and we will be discharged tomorrow sometime.




I will update as soon as I can.




11 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

We're thinking of you today!! She is the same doctor that did Owen's cath.. AMAZING!!! Praying for great results!!

cici said...

I have a rock just like that and I am carrying it with me today.
Prayers are being answered from above.
God Bless Mason

Kaidence's Mommy said...

I am thinking of you today. I wish you had someone there to sit with you. Keeping Mason in our prayers.

Allison said...

Wow... Talk about being led to a specific doctor right?! That hope is wonderful news today. Our whole family is praying for Mason today and I will be checking back hoping for good news with a balloon!

sheila said...

Thanks for the updates. My prayers are with Mason and your family. Sounds hopeful!!

Kristi said...

Thats such wonderful news about the vessels!!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

Ang said...

My thoughts and prayers have been with you today. May you both have a restful night in the CVICU and that all will be well.

Wodzisz Family said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you today. Praying all is well right now.

Marci said...

You are such an amazing and strong person! I was so glad to read this news. I hope it all works out for the very best.

Victoria Nelson said...

We know who this cath doctor is. We've heard really great things about her.
We have been checking in and continue to think of you guys.
Love and prayers,
Victoria

kurtis said...

Wow! Good news :) I wish you all the best tonight and hope you're heading back to your home away from home REALLY soon!!
Mindi
Libbi's mama