Monday, March 9, 2009

Enjoy the Journey!

Saturday, Mark, Kaitlin, and I had the opportunity to attend Gracie Gledhill's funeral. I must say it was a very emotional day for me. I know the only other time I ever have cried like that was the day my little Mason crashed...was Life Flighted...and then diagnosed! My heart hurt for Gracie's family so much. It also seemed too close to my own reality, having our own baby with the same congenital heart disease.Although, through all my tears, I was very touched by the beautiful spirit of love and faith that radiated through out the entire funeral.




Their family did a wonderful tribute to their sweet Gracie Girl. They celebrated her triumphs, her milestones, her smile, her courage and more than anything how they ENJOYED THE JOURNEY they have had with her for the last 11 months. There was not one complaint of the trials, but only appreciation for the blessings she has brought to their family and hundreds of others (through her blog). Oh, how I admire this family! They took a very big trial and turned it into pure happiness.




Gracie's dad spoke of the Eternal Plan of Happiness that our Heavenly Father has given us. The plan which brings them much joy and hope at this time. The plan that is about eternal families and the ability to be together forever someday. He spoke of Gracie being greeted with open arms, not only by our Savior Jesus Christ, but also by her aunt, uncle, and great-grandparents as she returned 'Home'. What a joyful sight to imagine. Thank you to the Gledhills for sharing such a wonderful example of faith.




I myself am grateful for this beyond words in my own life. Yes, of course the thought of losing someone near and dear to me, especially a child, or seeing the dear Gledhills say "Goodbye for now Gracie", makes me extremely sad, sad beyond words, and very broken-hearted, but at least I have hope and faith that families are forever!




I came home from the funeral and greeted my little Miracle Mason with tears rolling down my face, who had been home with Grandma. I held him closely and said "I love you Miracle Mason and thank-you for being mine". My life has ever so changed since he was born, but only for the better. My goal is to always ENJOY THE JOURNEY, as the Gedhills did with Gracie, with little Mason and my other 4 children, because we never know how long we will be blessed to have them with us!!




On the back of Gracie's funeral program was one of my favorite scriptures: "But Jesus said, Suffer the little children, and forbid them not to come unto me: for such is the kingdom of heaven." I feel that our children are a bit of heaven on earth, especially these little "heart babies" who left half their heart in heaven!




Thank-you again to the Gledhills for allowing us to know your beautiful Gracie and for the wonderful trubute we were able to attend in honor of her.

No comments: