Friday, May 14, 2010

The Big Day


It really did happen! Miracle Mason was DISCHARGED from the hospital this afternoon! It seems so surreal myself. Mason left the hospital with his healthy new ANGEL HEART! Wow!!!



We knew a few days ago that today would probably be THE BIG DAY, if his antibody levels came back low. But, I didn't dare announce that possibility! I was not going to set myself up for a 'jinx' and then a big let down! I know better.



After the antibody results, the main hold up was making sure I had all 18 of the correct medications (correct concentrations, correct dosages) to go home with. Because our insurance is out of network we could not fill them at the hospital, but somewhere across town. Then I had to ask the pharmacy manager if he would do me the favor of delivering them to the hospital (not something this Walgreens normally does), because before Mason could be discharged one of the Transplant Team's NP's had to check them all to make sure they were correct. What an ordeal!



So we loaded up two of the hospital's wagons with all our gear.....a very high tech blood pressure machine (I need to check Mason's BP twice a day because some of the anti-rejection meds can cause high blood pressure), a cooler full of meds, a case of Mason's G-tube formula, diapers and wipes that the sweet nurses usually toss in, CPR kit, my suitcase, and all the other STUFF we've acquired over the last 6 weeks........hugged the nurses goodbye......put Mason with his little mask on in his stroller..........and down to car we went.



When Mason saw the Brand's car (Sheila was kind enough to pick us up with all our stuff, Thank you) out in front of the hospital he took his mask off and was smiling sooooo big. We had been telling him we were going "bye, bye" but he didn't truly understand tell we got outside and to the car. It was precious to see his excitement.



At that moment I was too excited myself to tear up, but now as I retell it I have tears streaming down my face. Mason is a TRUE MIRACLE and has been watched over from Above, protected through all our ups and downs, and through every chapter of this journey. I am so very grateful to my Father Above, because of Him this BIG DAY was possible. And because of Mason many of us have prayed more fervently than ever before. Thank you Mason for teaching us so many important lessons.



Upon arriving to our "home away from home" as we pulled into the driveway Mason lifted his hands above his head and with a huge smile said for the first time ever "HOME". He had realized now that we had truly left the hospital! So special!! (only to return to the hospital next week 3x for different appointments, but I won't tell him that right now!!)



I will post pictures of the BIG DAY sometime this weekend.



LOVES TO ALL! GOOD NIGHT!



39 comments:

cici said...

What a joyous day and an answer to all our prayers.
Rest well you two. :)

Hollie said...

So excited for you!! I hope you and Mason got the best nights sleep!!! Nothing better than sleeping OUT of the hospital!
Yay! Not much longer and you'll be able to be home for real!
Hugs!!!!
Hollie and Elaina

Bob and Joan said...

Before I read the part where you were crying I was crying too. What a glorious day and such a long journey. Without being there I can see Mason's cute little face as he discovered that he was really leaving the hospital.

This is silly but the thought came in my mind that Mason needs to learn the name of a popular hamberger place in California, In-N-Out. It will be a good name for all his hospital visits. Just get in there and get it done and then you are OUT!

Aimee Hardy said...

Congratulations! One step closer to REALLY coming home. We wish you guys the best.

Rochelle said...

That is AWESOME!!!! What a Amazing God we serve. Congratulations! May the next few weeks go by so fast that you will be able to go Home to the rest of your family soon.
God is SO GOOD!!!

Unknown said...

so unreal! I'm so happy to hear this. I remember what it felt like to leave the hospital with Stephen. Especially, after being told that we wouldn't. WOW. A feeling that cannot even be described. Cherish every moment and love LIFE. I am so excited for your family. When you get back home, I want to make the drive to visit and meet you. I love your family so very much! Keep your faith-- you are amazing. Good job Miracale Mason!

Love always,
Jess

Teresa said...

Wow Summer that is so amazing!!! I am so excited for you and I just can't believe how well he is doing, he is a fighter! I can't wait for you to take him to the team at Primary's, they are going to be so excited when they see him! Soon you will be home for good. Hooray Mason!!
Love
Teresa

Andrea Gunnell said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! SO AMAZING!!! I have loved reading Mason's story. He's one special boy:)

Retta Jean said...

Summer.....I'm so happy for you and Mason. YAY!!! Enjoy your freedom!

Allison said...

I teared up reading this today. How precious for Mason to realize exactly where he was and to say the word home! Wow. I hope that the next few weeks fly by so you can really be home soon!!

The Simmons Family said...

Summer... I am SO happy for you both!!! Now you are on the homerun stretch... and you'll really be going home soon! I hope you both get some great sleep, long naps and enjoy time outdoors.

I am thrilled!!

Sara said...

Yay Mason!! Congratulations!!!

Joanna Wilson said...

oh, hooray. oh, hooray! oh, joy! congratulations to you all and love out to the family that "loaned" Miracle Mason their child's heart.

what a great day for all

♥Stef said...

Oh YEAH! I am so happy for you and Mason!

Stefenie said...

I am so excited to hear that Mason was discharged! Wonderful news!!!

I am sure Mason is having a blast at his home away from home!

Still praying!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you and Mason! We pray for you everyday and are encouraged as we watch for the emails daily. Thanks for the posts and for allowing us all to share in this journey with you. We love you all and are grateful that you are our friends!

The Whittakers

Kristi said...

SO excited! Big hugs and love to you both!!!!!!!!!!!

(we have the same issue with Loma Linda, and they prepared us for having to go across to their medical buildings to the Walgreens... so ridiculous! they can replace a heart but not supply the meds?!? LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Awesome news!!! Im sooo excited 4 u and ur family. May God continue to bless u Mason and ur whole entire family!:)!:)

Pamela Wiscombe said...

Summer that is so exciting to get your little miracle Mason out of the hospital. Hope you can get some real solid sleep, and that Mason can play in the yard and enjoy the sun. I hope that within a month or two you will be able to return home to all of us in Utah. Enjoy your time together and think of a way to reward him when you have to take him back for appointments. Love to you, Mason, and your family. :)

sheila said...

Celebrate Good Times!!

Kimmie said...

such great news and such a sweet boy to know HOME (away from home of course)! here's hoping the time until you are truly home with your family passes by quickily, happily, and most importantly...HEALTHILY!!!!

........ said...

Yay Mason!!! You did it!!!

I am so happy for Mason and for your family. To go from very little hope to THIS is so amazing!!! Thank you for taking me along on this journey with you and letting me witness a real life miracle!

Seth Wynn said...

HOORAY FOR MASON!!!!!We are so excited to hear that he is HOME, at least his California HOME AWAY from HOME! Jesse is coming on his mission to your area in 10 days! I don't know where his first area will be, but I know he'd love to come for a visit. We have been following Mason's story as a family for the past 2+years. Anyway, Hip, Hip Hooray, Hip, Hip Hooray! Hip, Hip Hooray! 3 cheers for Mason!!! The Wynn's

JACK's house said...

That is so awesome! Way to go Mason :)

Jamie said...

Congrats! That's so exciting! After all that time...amazing!

Mimi said...

What a perfect day!! I am so so happy for your family! Give that Mr. Mason a big squeeze from us!

HE DID IT!!!!!

Me said...

What wonderful news!!! I am so overjoyed for you!! God is Great!!!

Unknown said...

Happy to be following you blog now! Mason is so handsome!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful news!! Can you share an address where we can send cards to? Would also like to buy Mason a special t-shirt. What size does he wear?

Much love to you, Mason, and your wonderful family.

PRAY4CALLIE said...

What AWESOME news:) So happy for you guys!

Just Me said...

Oh, congrats! I am so happy for you! Take a nice long run in the sunshine with Mason!

Munchkin said...

That's awesome

The Palmers said...

I'm so happy that things are moving forward for Mason! I hope you can enjoy the outdoors a little. After an experience like you've had it's easier to appreciate the little things like wind on your faces, sunshine, blue skies, and the sound of birds. Enjoy!!!

Jeff and Andee said...

Yeah Mason! Congratulations! So happy for you all!

Jennifer said...

"HOME"!? I am SO happy for you guys!

Summersheartjourney said...

Oh I am so very happy for you. It truly made my day coming on here and seeing that you have gone home. Many blessings to each of you. Please continue to keep us posted on how things are going!!!
In Christ's love,
Summer

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's amazing the developments one misses when one doesn't log on for the weekend. That's great news and it makes my day.

Hope you and Mason continue to enjoy life away from the hospital!

Shanna said...

SO exciting! i am so happy to hear all is well with you and Mason. i have prayed everyday for him to have a successful recovery. I am so excited you guys can begin a new journey together.

Ashlie said...

I am so excited for you!...it must be so nice to be out of the hospital, congrats! You guys will continue to be in our prayers:)
ashlie bundy