Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cardiac MRI Tomorrow

I'll be honest.....I'm nervous about Mason's cardiac MRI tomorrow. He is having this done to look at his coronary arteries. Normally coronary arteries can be looked at during a full heart cath, but with Mason it's just not possible because both of his femoral arteries (in the groin) are occluded. In pediatrics the cath doctor goes in through the femoral arteries to get a coronary angiogram.  (In adults I believe they can go through an artery in the arm.) This is the best method to look at coronary artery health. Via MRI, like Mason will be having done is another method, it's just not always as accurate.

Mason is having this done as part of his routine "annual" transplant checkup. But, he hasn't had it done in 18 months. For this reason I am nervous! Plus, coronary artery disease (CAD) is the most common cause of failed heart transplants! And what is one of the main causes of  CAD? Antibody mediated rejection. Okay, so I have reason to be nervous right?! Especially with Mason having this recent antibody mediated rejection. But, on the bright side..... Mason seems to be doing great and his echos have all looked good through this recent rejection. So hopefully I'm worrying about nothing!!!

Please pray, think positive thoughts, and hope with us for good healthy results tomorrow.

Thank you!

2 comments:

laura said...

Summer, I don't know how you have done it all these years, except for the fact that you are a mother, and that's what mother's do. They are not quitters!. You are truly an example to me of enduring to the end. Keep up your strong faith, and I know that Heavenly Father blesses you and your family every day!!

cici said...

Mason will come out a shining star!
My Prayers are surrounding both of you for the best of news.
{{Hugs}]